I was ready to give this recipe another shot...and since I had a nice propagation of Wyeast 3068, I figured that now was the time to do it! The LHBS was "out" of dary wheat, so I substituted pale plus some carafa to get the color back where it should be. Here's hoping that V2 is as tasty as the unintentional "tiny" original...
Weyermann Pale Wheat - 6 lbs, 0 oz Weyermann Munich Type II - 4 lbs, 4 oz Special B - 4 oz Weyermann Cara Munich III - 4 oz Weyermann Cara Munich II - 4 oz Weyermann De-Husked Carafa I - 2 oz Perle Pellets 8.9% AA .70 oz @ 60 mins Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen slurry
got 74% eff: OG 1.078 - IBU - 20-21 ish - ABV 7.6% - fermenting approx 3.5 gallons in 2 LBKs
I made the brew day a @$(&*^#%! project. Decision 1 was to go "big" and try to eek out 4.25 gallons of wort via 11 pounds of grain. Not to jump too far ahead, but I learned something here: 11 pounds is WAY too much for the "system" that I am using currently. Anyway, I did a multi step mash: 118°, 128°, 147°, 156°, then finally mash out at 170°. Using direct heat on the stove...no big deal there, just a lot of stirring while the flame was on. I started by using 4.5 gallons of water, figuring I would sparge this time to get my desired volume. turns out: I don't have a 2nd pot big enough to handle this size grain bill.
after a lot of squeezing of the grain bag, and pouring water through it...I got to my boil volume of just under 5-ish gallons. so it wasn't high enough to get the volume I wanted, but I didn't miss by TOO much. there was one brief boil-over, I burned my hand removing the hops sack, which in turn caused another spill. all in all, it was a pain. seeing this type of efficiency despite everything, combined with the sample taste of wort from the hydrometer...I would TOTALLY do this recipe again, but it absolutely would need some scaling back (to maybe going for 3.5 gallons post-boil) or, potentially, the upgrading of the brew system.
the harvested 3068 was quickly washed and sent for a spin on the stir plate prior to pitching, and speaking of, I used in the ballpark of 100mL of slurry in each LBK. a bit on the high side, but I didn't want a ton of esters, nor any stalling. 5 hours after pitching, the bubble layer is forming in a big way! going to attempt to kept the temperature in check and drop it into the mid 60s.
fermentation between 14-20 days, maybe crash cool, but definitely kegging this mid 7% ABV beast! probably won't have a free tap in the kegerator until November though if I were a betting man, but a little age will certainly not hurt this particular beer
Update 1/29/13: Something was definitely wrong here. This batch (along with several others) experienced a slight infection that is still persisting...even after 4 months of aging. There is a slight sour twang with a hint of band aid. yeah, not awesome. when the actual beer flavor comes through, there is a slightly dark and fruity sweetness that isn't easy to describe because it is hidden by the sour bite, which is the first wave to hit the palate. it isn't a dumper (at 7+% abv, I'll fight through it!), but it is hard to compare it to a real Aventinus in its condition. 0 for 2 so far, but I really think that this recipe is on the right track. it will be shelved for a while, but there will be a re-brew probably in the fall.