Wow...it's been nearly 3 years to the day since I last brewed this! This time I slightly tweaked and upped the grain bill for a larger batch (still counting on the 75+% efficiency that I've been consistently getting of late) and with high hopes, I wanted to make a run at a V2 version today, so I present:
AvenTINY V2 - brewed on 3/8/2014 (3.5 gallons post boil) - Weyermann Pale Wheat: 5 lbs - Best Malz Munich: 3 lbs 8 oz - C-40: 4 oz - C-120: 4 oz - Midnight Wheat: 2 oz - Hallertau Pellet (6.3% AAs): 1/2 oz @ 60 min - 3068 Weihenstephan Yeast slurry
I wrote the into up there AFTER knowing full-well that I had crappy stats (due to drill issues, I had a bad crush which I think lead to a bad mash): 1.066 OG, 6.5% ABV, 15 IBU
Despite that, the wort tasted incredible, so I think I'll be fine sacrificing a little alcohol for this iteration...as long as it finishes properly!
it's not a bad beer, but IMO it tastes way too "clovey" (phenols), and to me that means it takes on a slight "band aid" quality in the aroma. oddly enough, of the 4-5 people that have sampled this beer, I am the only one that detects this. so that's good (for everyone else!). I've noticed this the past few times I've used 3068, and the internet tells me that my water is to blame (too many chloride-related compounds)...so that MUST be true! so next time: filter the water. also ferment warmer (this one was mid 60s, whereas the original was closer to 70 IIRC), and that would promote ester (banana) production with this yeast strain.